Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The Future

If gasoline prices continue to stay as high as they are for the long-term, I'm wondering if we will see urban people exercising more public transportation options. With this in mind, I decided to see if I could get to work from my house relatively easy using an established bus route. Unfortunately, the closest bus only comes to within a mile or so of my workplace, and that just isn't close enough, especially on rainy days like today.

I would like to see train service become popular again for cross-country travel. I have a love affair with trains. There's something timeless about riding one. But I have concerns about train safety in the U.S. The train companies cut corners in the U.S. by building dangerous railroad crossings in several places, and a few times a year you hear about a car being struck or a derailment. Most train crossings in Europe are safer because the highway usually goes over or under the train track.

We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

No comments: