Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Eve Online

I've been seeing a game called Eve Online advertised a lot in PC Gamer, so I went to the website to check it out. I also did a search for a free trial and was able to find a 14-day free trial on the website. I didn't have to give out a credit card to get started, so I installed the game.

The opening scene gives you the back story on how the galaxy came to be as it is now. Essentially, humanity left Earth after it was left uninhabitable. But ruthless corporations took over all the new planets that were colonized, leaving the people under the thumb of oppression. Then one day a stable wormhole was discovered, and people began traveling to an unexplored part of the galaxy to find a new life. Not too long afterward, the wormhole collapsed, leaving thousands colonists stranded on hundreds of worlds. Over time, only four groups of humans survived. And the game begins from there leaving you to setup your character by choosing a bloodline.

I did not get very far into the game yet...the computer is still training me how to operate my ship and engage in combat, but so far the game has a depth that is generally not seen in other games. It reminds me a little of the old game Taipan, but much more grown-up. That's both a negative and a plus. It's a negative because you can't just pick the game up and start playing, but I think the complexity of the game will be more rewarding in the end. We shall see.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That look insteresting.