Sunday, September 03, 2006

Red Dirt Festival @ the Grape Ranch


I never would have expected Oklahoma to have commercial wine vineyards, but over the last few years, several have opened to the public, and they are surprisingly good. Yesterday, I went to the Grape Ranch for the first time. Located near Okemah, Oklahoma, the Grape Ranch was voted Oklahoma's Best Winery in 2005 by the Oklahoma Gazette. The Red Dirt Harvest Festival is going on all Labor Day weekend. It's like Oklahoma's version of Woodstock, minus the free love. It was overcast and cool yesterday, and you couldn't have asked for better weather. My favorite activity was the wine tasting. They let us sample all of their wines, and I have to say most of them were very nice. I particularly enjoyed the Sauvignon Blanc. After that, we spent the remainder of the evening listening to a selection of live music, including my friend Jared Tyler, down in the ampitheater. It was a lot of fun.

No comments: