Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Shasta Groene

I've been reading about 8 year-old Shasta Groene's terrifying ordeal, and it just makes me sick and angry. She's now saying she was kidnapped by Joseph Duncan and abused by him several times. She also saw him abuse her 9 year-old brother, who is now presumed dead. What's even more disgusting is that Duncan is a convicted sex offender who was previously released from prison. Sociopaths that repeatedly pray on children should never be allowed to rejoin society. They have no conscience, and there's growing evidence they cannot be reformed, so why do we continue to let them out of jail?

On the other hand, I want to talk about sex offender registries. Do they really make you feel safer? Just because you know a sex offender lives down the street, doesn't mean you can know where that sex offender is all the time. I think they are ineffective, they instill an unhealthy sense of paranoia, and they are a waste of tax payers' money. I might feel differently if I had childen, I don't know.

1 comment:

Steven H. Roemerman Sr said...

I did not care about registries one way or the other until my wife quit work and we started having kids. We actually have a sex offender in our neighborhood, knowing that has not really changed the way we live. I guess if my kids ever went missing I’d know where to take my 9mm and check for them…